Your world. Your wrist. Create the best Samsung Gear App and change your universe.
Wearable tech. Ubiquitous computing. In a world where the future is at our fingertips, Samsung is inviting developers to take technology to the next level by creating innovative, functional, and original apps for the Samsung Gear.
The Samsung Gear App Challenge is part of the series of "Samsung Smart App Challenges" which began in 2012. Over two rounds, developers will have the chance to win $1,250,000* in total prize money, as well as promotional exposure for their apps through Samsung’s global marketing channels.
Developers around the world were invited to submit applications developed with the Samsung Gear Dev Tool. The top 200 finalists were selected by a panel of judges, and each received $2,000 in prizes.
In Round 2, the finalists from Round 1 have been invited to compete again for more prizes and exposure. Developers have been given additional time to improve and modify their apps. Judges will select the top 40 applications and those winners will receive a total of $850,000 in additional prize money and marketing exposure for their apps.
In addition, the public will be given the chance to vote for their favorites among the top 10 apps to choose the Popular Choice Prize winner.
Grand prize and Popular Choice award winners will be announced at the Samsung Developers Conference, November 11-13th, 2014.
*The total prize amount of $1,250,000 assumes that 200 applications will be submitted during Round 1.
The Samsung Gear App Challenge was open to developers from around the world who became registered members on the Samsung GALAXY Apps Seller Office website.
Apps submitted in Round 2 must be finalists from Round 1 and must continue to meet all of the Round 1 requirements below.
Although it is not required, additional points will be given in Round 2 to finalists who update their Gear app to support the latest Samsung Gear S screen resolution of 360*480 during the Round 2 development period and pass certification for the Gear S device.
[NOTE: In Round 2, a set number of points will be awarded for all Gear apps that support the latest Samsung Gear S screen resolution of 360x480 and pass certification for the Gear S device.
No points will be awarded under this criterion for Gear apps that do not support the latest Samsung Gear S screen resolution of 360x480 and/or do not pass certification for the Gear S device, with the exception of the following:
Gear apps which include features not supported on the Samsung Gear S device - thus prohibiting them from supporting the latest Samsung Gear S screen resolution of 360x480 and passing certification for the Gear S device - will not be penalized, and will receive the same set number of points awarded to apps that support the latest Samsung Gear S screen resolution of 360x480 and pass certification for the Gear S device.]
General: Submitted applications must be Samsung Gear Apps created using the Samsung Gear Dev Tool.
Platform: Your app may be any one of the three types of Gear app: Linked (Master-Follower) Type, Integrated Type, or Standalone Type.
If the Host-side Application links to a Samsung Galaxy, then the application must support at least one device among Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4.
Online Store: All submitted apps must also be submitted to Samsung GALAXY Apps by the submission deadline and pass Samsung App Certification by the end of the Certification Period (see Official Rules for details).
Language: Apps must have English language support and may offer multilingual support that includes English.
How to enter
- ONLY FINALISTS FROM ROUND 1 ARE ELIGIBLE TO ENTER ROUND 2.
- Register to access the submission form and start your Round 2 draft.
- Visit the Resources page to get access to any new Samsung Gear Dev Tool versions. Although it is not required, additional points will be given in Round 2 for finalists that support the latest Samsung Gear S screen resolution during the Round 2 development period and pass certification for the Gear S device. (See official rules for details.)
- Update your working Gear App that was a finalist in Round 1.
- Create a demonstration video and take some screenshots of your updated Gear App. Participants are encouraged to submit entry materials in English or include an English translation or subtitles.
- Resubmit your updated Gear App to Samsung GALAXY Apps. Don’t forget to allow time for your app to go through the Certification Process and be released on Samsung GALAXY Apps before the certification period deadline - October 13, 2014 at 5pm EDT. Note: Certification and store release timing may vary depending on the app and when it’s submitted for certification review.
- Fill out your submission form (including all required fields) and submit!
Samsung Judging Panel
A panel of internal judges from Samsung
Vice President of Mobile Products, Nuance Communications
CEO and Founder of Wearable World
CEO of Lark Technologies
Staff Writer at TechCrunch